Monday 20 May 2013

French Ligne Taking A Pounding Part Deux


About a year ago I posted a picture of an unfinished French Ligne Battalion in a firing line - I'd simply dug into the "big box" and looked through it looking for something I felt like tackling (like tackling the numerous half finished battalions was too much for me). I'd painted the AB French in firing loading poses I had but needed to bulk out the unit to thirty figures by using some casualties - I don't care what anybody says, if I've spent this long painting them the casualties are going to "count" for firing or melee purposes.

Anyway, it occurred to me that I'd not posted a picture of the completed unit. So here you go:
And what is the first thing I see - that I forgot to paint a musket barrel and bayonet on one of the figures!
And the sharper eyed amongst you will have realised I didn't paint the full 30 figures I intended to either.

But I'd like to think that this captures a unit that well into a firefight, as the ordered ranks start to get broken up by casualties and the regular volleys give way to each man firing as fast as he is able. I'd also like to think that this is a response to those people who say that AB Miniatures lack pose variety. They took ages to paint  and involved lots of colourful language - but I'm pretty pleased with them. And even more pleased that I can count them as done (okay, I know the wounded chap on the command stand needs a little bit more work).

3 comments:

  1. Nice painting, if you paint them the casualties definitely count in my mind ;-) !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice painting, and great basing too, love the style!!
    Phil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phil, thanks - in real life the bases look a bit better than in the pictures, but I can't say I've done much with them. It is just a GW fine sand and pebble mix with some Silflor type tufts. No painting, highlighting or anything. So pretty basic really.

    Paul - I can't say I enjoy painting French line, all that trim and so on I find rather tedious. These took me forever to do, largely because I only did a very small amount at a time, and left long gaps between doing anything. I think as far as I'm concerned the more basic and colourful the uniform the better!

    ReplyDelete